We have shared information about the Washington State Long Term Care Act in previous communications. Today is the day long term care policies must have been effective in order to be eligible for the exemption.
If you have an existing and eligible long term care or hybrid policy - here are the steps to take to apply for exemption from the tax beginning in January.
- The opt out tool is available at: https://wacaresfund.wa.gov/private-insurance
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the button that says "Apply for Exemption"
- Follow the steps to establish a SecureAccess Washington Account.
- You will need to upload proof of ID (Driver's License, Passport of two alternative forms of ID)
- You will then attest to having a Long Term Care plan in place.
- When your exemption is approved you will receive a letter from ESD in the mail.
- Provide your employer a copy of this exemption letter.
Exemptions will take effect the quarter after your application is approved. Be sure to keep your exemption letter in case you change employers.